Freelancer, May 2015 – Present
- Communications Consultant at Hispano Law Group –Proposal Writing, Social Media, and Media Consultant for this law firm based in Chicago, IL
- Bilingual Copywriter at Chicago Zoological Society -Created the Spanish-language content for their visitor’s brochure (Long and short-form copy)
- Bilingual Copywriter at Culinary Sales Support, INC. (CSSI Culinary + Marketing) –Food industry clients include: Sysco (Long-form copy)
- Bilingual Copywriter at Media Made Great –Technology clients include: Time Warner Cable (Short-form copy)
- Bilingual Copywriter at The Chicago Community Trust –Created long-form content for their website about the 2015 Chicago Ideas Week event
- Spanish-language Audio Producer at Chicago Public Media –Produced several audio stories aired in this public radio station
- Bilingual Blog Coordinator at Radio Ambulante –Coordinated and created long-form content for the website of this Latin American podcast
- Spanish Translator at Land of Lincoln Health -Created short-form copy for this health insurance company
Senior Bilingual Editor, May 2015 – January 2018
-Senior Spanish Editor/Proofreader for all brands in the national WellPoint account (Anthem Blue Cross, Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield, Empire BlueCross BlueShield, Anthem HealthKeepers, etc.)
-Oversaw Spanish voiceover recording session for Anthem national radio campaign.
-Translated advertising and marketing collateral between English and Spanish.
-Other accounts that I’ve worked include:
• Pharma clients: Orencia, Gerber, etc.
• Financial clients: Visa, MetLife, SoFi, etc.
• Retail clients: Under Armour, etc.
• Hospitality clients: Universal Orlando, Airbnb, Hyatt, Virgin America, etc.
• Technology clients: Samsung, DirecTV, HBO, Cisco, etc.
• Non-Profit clients: American Cancer Society, Northwell Health Foundation, Arthritis Foundation, etc.
Various Higher Education Institutions
Adjunct Faculty, January 2015 – May 2015
- University of Chicago: Part of the Department of Latin American and Caribbean Studies
- Elmhurst College: Taught Intermediate Spanish II and Spanish for Heritage Speakers II. Also, Coordinator of the World Languages Department’s newspaper.
- National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM), Chicago Campus: Taught Basic Spanish I
Associate Editor, October 2010 – November 2014
- Associate Editor for iLit, Pearson’s digital educational program
- Editorial and Content Development Coordinator
- Bilingual Editor and Proofreader
Editorial Coordinator, February 2010 – October 2010
- Planned and assigned coverage for this Spanish-language online news media outlet.
- Editorial Assistant for Puerto Rico Cooperativista (Puerto Rico Credit Unions League’s newspaper)
- Citizen Journalism Workshops Instructor
Metropolitan University of Puerto Rico, SUAGM
Adjunct Professor, March 2009 – June 2010
- Taught “Translation for Media: Theory and Practice,” Department of Communication
Reporter/Journalist, February 2009 – February 2010
- Reported on a variety of stories about different topics: current events, human interest, etc.
- Research and interviews for the photo-journalism book, A través del lente de Claridad
Intern, December 2008
Speaker at the International Symposium “Communication and Latin American Integration from the South” at CIESPAL in Quito, Ecuador (July 2015)
VOCALO Radio Storytelling Workshop en español, Chicago Public Media (October 2014)
Fellow at the Gabriel García Márquez Fellowship in Cultural Journalism, New Journalism Foundation (FNPI), Colombia (2015)
M.A. Mass Media and Cultural Studies, University of Nottingham, UK (2009)
Dissertation, “Media Imperialism in Latin America and the emergence of teleSUR“: Its aim was to study the creation and introduction of teleSUR to the Latin American media market as an alternative to hegemonic media. (Grade: Distinction)
B.A. Social Sciences, University of Puerto Rico (2007)
- Academic exchange student for one year at the University of Seville, Spain (September 2005- June 2006)